Islamorada is widely known as the “Sportfishing capital of the world,” but it’s also one of the most family-friendly vacation spots in the country. From one-of-a-kind parks and museums to secluded beaches, it offers something for everyone and embodies the unique, laid-back spirit of the Florida Keys.
Below are five of our favorite local attractions sure to please kids of all ages:
- At Robbie’s Marina, you can purchase buckets of bait and feed tarpon (be prepared—they’re big!) right from the dock. State park tours or fishing and snorkeling excursions can be booked at this Islamorada institution as well, including trips to Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park, accessible only by boat.
- A trip to Theater of the Sea promises fun for the whole family. One of the oldest marine mammal facilities in the world, its lagoons and tropical gardens are home to Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, California sea lions, sea turtles, tropical and game fish, sharks, stingrays, crocodiles, alligators, marine invertebrates, and birds. Twelve million gallons of ocean water are pumped in daily to supply water to the three-acre natural salt-water lagoons. You can choose from a variety of animal interaction activities, including swimming with dolphins, painting sea lions, or a parrot show.
- Who doesn’t love a day at the park? Islamorada Founders Park offers forty acres of family-friendly activities with a distinct Florida flavor, including an Olympic-size pool, shallow water beach, water sports rentals, fishing jetty, a new shaded outdoor fitness park, and a new pickleball court.
- Learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about a favorite local pastime at the Florida Keys History of Diving Museum, where you’ll view one of the world’s largest collections of historic dive equipment, including dive helmets from 25 countries.
- Often voted one of the prettiest beaches in the Keys, Anne’s Beach is a relaxing place to while away an afternoon in the sun with a picnic lunch. Lined with mangroves, the beach has picnic tables, bathroom facilities, and best of all, warm, shallow, calm waters all year round that are perfect for young children.
There’s no better place from which to explore all that Islamorada has in store than Cheeca Lodge & Spa—and our new Family Fun Package is yet another reason to come visit! Book this special offer and receive a free Children’s menu entrée with the purchase of an Adult entrée at the same meal, along with buy-one-get-one-free admission to Camp Cheeca, where kids ages 5-12 will learn about the unique natural environment of the Keys while enjoying activities including scavenger hunts and fishing off the resort’s iconic pier. We look forward to welcoming you to our island paradise soon!